Wednesday, April 23, 2008

return a blessing with a curse...

is satan's motto i think. man, has this week been trying! and it shouldn't be... i mean, we were so blessed this weekend with new floors for the downstairs and grayson's room, and we've just been showered with blessings! i think i was expecting the best week ever, clear skin and no itching, and just everything to go well. but man, it hasn't. monday was awful. it was the first day of no breastfeeding grayson at all, and man that can mess your hormones up. i was seriously in a comatose depressive state all day long. just feeling guilty, which is dumb, for stopping with the breastmilk a month earlier than i had planned. how dumb! some people can't even breastfeed at all because their milk won't come in, their kiddo won't latch or rips them apart when they do latch, or they just don't want to which is SO fine by the way. but anyway, grayson was still itchy of course. its not like laminate flooring is an overnight complete cure. so the day was bad, and when kenny got home, i just collapsed on the couch for awhile with my sweet husband asking "whats wrong" 4 billion times, and all i could say was "hormones and i don't know." around 7:30 we went up to give the kids baths, and while i was picking out grayson's pj's before bath time (are they tight enough? can he get the pants off? can he get his arm out of this neck hole? its a chore...), he was playing next to me. he crawled towards the stairs (where our gate had not yet been put back up) and sat there staring at them as if they were calling his name. i said "no sir" and went to go get him away from the stairs, and he DARTED full speed ahead and took a flying leap off the step and continued to roll all the way down to the landing. i ran screaming, picked him up, was shaking so bad and just sobbing that i had just let him do that! kenny kept reassuring me that he was fine, and it was ok. (he also got a carpet burn on his face and head, we all know how good that is for him). i could barely hold him i was shaking so bad, but 10 minutes later he was ready for a bath and laughing at his sister, while i was still paralyzed with fear. at one point, i was back by the laundry room, trying again to pick out his pj's from a laundry pile, and aislyn came up to me. she brought me a toy to play with and when it made noise she would go "oh, fun mommy! this make you feel better? its ok mommy, don't twy (cry)! baby grayson's ok, daddy's ok, i'm ok, and you're ok!" she proceeded to recap the events saying "and baby fall down stairs, and daddy run and baby and mommy twying but its ok, cuz... MORNING!!!" and i said, through tears and a fake 'mommy's ok' smile on my face, "aislyn, what comes in the morning?" she thought about it a moment, and replied with both arms in the air, "JESUS!" wow. profound. yet again. she's right. Jesus always comes in the morning for a new day. truth is, He never left. and yet , the next morning came with Jesus and a head to toe rash on grayson from a new soap kenny and i had tried the evening before. oh, and a broken down car. and yet Jesus is still the same right? i know that He is. i read that recently in a mother's blog about her sweet baby girl who was born with a condition that only allowed her two hours of life with her mommy and daddy and then she went to be with Jesus. the mom writes that at the ultrasound where they told her that something was very wrong with her sweet audrey, that all she could physically do or say was "Jesus is still the same, no matter what." isn't that the truth? our circumstances change, but our Jesus does not. but we fight it. we fight to believe that He hasn't changed. i was not convinced of it earlier this week. i was letting the circumstances get the best of me, and still am for the most part i think, but i do know the truth. so while each day brings new hardships in our lives, Jesus remains. He remains our Healer, our Protector, our Provider, our Peace, our Comfort, our JOY. that's one i should focus on, JOY. i so easily let satan steal my joy sometimes. that brings me to the title of this post. as i learn what it means to return a blessing for a curse, i have realized that satan does the opposite. he returns blessings WITH curses! not that satan gave my son a rash, i did that just fine ALL by myself. but he messes with our heads and when our circumstances change and appear to be going downhill, he tells us that joy is no longer within our grasp. but it is. i think now i need to really figure out what that means. its hard to have joy when ALL you freaking do all day long is hold your son to keep him from scratching until he bleeds. (he got an arm out last night and tore up his hand by biting chunks out of the top of it and his pointer finger, it looks so awful today- when i put him down for a nap, i noticed that his sheets and both blankies were blood stained. neat). its HARD to have joy, man, when you get so caught up in that! every time i don't hear him crawling or babbling or rolling a car across his new itch free floor, i know that he is scratching skin off. so i go find him and rescue him. this is about an every 4 to 5 minute occurrence as of late. my son might be gaining alot of weight here pretty quick because i've learned that snacks take his mind off of it if only for a moment!! listen to me, i sound like its the end of the world when there are people EVERYWHERE dealing with so so much worse!! i don't mean to sound that way really. but i do think that God teaches me as i write, so i would like to continue without judgement that i'm being ridiculous. i KNOW that in someone's eyes, i am being ridiculous. because my kid does not have cancer, and my kids are alive and well. but like i said, each person's issues are just that...each person's issues. so mine really are small, but God does teach me through them. when did this post become a novel? gees. so, if anyone has any advice on keeping hold of your joy, let me know. :) i would love to hear it. and by the way, our new floors are STILL amazing. again, thank you. we love them. grayson loves them. he loves that his cars roll so easily across them! and i think he'd be less itchy already if i hadn't poisoned him with my soap experiment! there is officially no soap that doesn't break the boy out. so he might have a stinky adolescence....watch out. i hope your day is joyful, i challenge you in that, as i challenge MYSELF in that. :)

16 comments:

Gram said...

have you tried melalluca? there is almost nothing in the detergent except the melalluca oil. mrs hoob sells it.

Anonymous said...

our nextdoor neighbor told me that she didn't use soap on her son until he was 8 because EVERYTHING broke him out. :) So don't worry - he won't be too stinky. Matthew ended up ok! - anna

Unknown said...

Hey girl,I only wish that you knew how you give me such inspiration to be a better person!!! You are truly amazing in all aspects of life, and I aspire everyday to be more like you. You have such tremendous strength thru our amazing Lord, and I often share your stories with my friends as a source of strength for them. I was actually telling (in tears) my dad just today how I wished that we lived closer so I could have such an amazing friend in Christ to walk with. So...I know it's not advice, but know that you are an inspiration to someone here in good ol' Texas! I love you way more than a fat kid loves cake:~0

Rachael McClair said...

I don't have much advice to give you- joy and peace are fleeting for me right now, though my kiddos provide a lot of joy when they're not driving me crazy. I think there might be something to the title of your post, though. Or, the former title- return a curse with a blessing. Maybe there is some way you can bless someone else in the midst of all the frustration?

You're right- everyone's circumstances are just that- and comparing ourselves, while sometimes helping us maintain some perspective, isn't a solution or immediate path to joy. There's always someone who has it worse, but that doesn't eliminate the frustration, anger and sadness we experience. So rather than trying to minimize those experiences, maybe there is a way to reach out within those experiences and serve someone else- they may not even have it "as bad as us"- but there sure is something amazing about helping another person that shows them love, compassion and dignity. It won't make our sorrows go away, but I think it just might give us a piece of joy in the midst of it. What do you think?

Anonymous said...

Least likely is right. I struggled for a LONG time (and still do to some extent) with my frustration and sadness over Titus' condition and eating problems. So many people have children in horrible shape with terminal or chronic problems. However, we need to give ourselves permission to grieve our own sorrows and feel our own pain. Denying it only makes us feel guilty for feeling angry or sad. And that only makes things worse. God wants us to rejoice in all things, and I think I've come to the conclusion that you can rejoice through tears, knowing that those tears and anger will build your character and provide you with the tools to minister. Does that make sense? I hadn't written this before because I still struggle with it. big time! But I'm trying to bring myself to that joyful place where I feel the joy with the pain. hang in there - you can always call. anna

Anonymous said...

amy--thanks for the post. i am encouraged at your "preaching to your heart." you are not ridiculous. i would feel spent and tried as well. i had one of the roughest depression days last week, and learned much through it (blogged about it), but came out in Lamentations 3, and found that our Father never changes; in fact, He's so steadfast that He will hone and shape the godly character and holiness in us until we are like Him--and that really will take our whole lives through all of life's trials. Remember Paul's "thorn," and remember that though he pleaded with the Lord to remove it, the Lord did not, and made it clear that His grace was sufficient, and was made strong in Paul's weakness. May that be the key and answer to our quest for Joy. much love.

Wayne said...

Hey AmyDamy. How can my sweet little girl be so insightful and wise and in touch with who she is in Christ? I am thanking God right now that He is walking with you and praying that He will keep you in touch with the joy that He gives that surpasses all understanding. I wish I had answers for you. Aren't I supposed to be able to fix what causes you pain? Isn't that a father's job? It's hard to realize that all I can do is pray. But I will continue to do that.
I read somewhere that everything in life is a trust and a test. Everything we have - our time on earth, our children, our businesses, our money - everything is loaned to us by the Owner and we are managers of that trust. The testing comes to develop our character. To see how we react in the face of difficulty. To see how strong our faith is. And we learn something from every test that we can apply to our lives and grow in character and become more like Him.
So, even though it hurts to see you going through this test, I am joyful to see you growing in character and being such an inspiration to so many others whose lives you touch. I miss the little girl that gave me so much joy while she was growing up but I love the person she has become. I know that He has more blessings for you than curses and I look forward with faith that you will see them soon.

redbyrd said...

"whatever is TRUE, whatever is noble, pure, lovely, admirable, right...- think on these things".. the rest is just worry and garbage we don't need and doesn't come from God...

amy said...

preach it sistahs!! oh, and dad! really, i appreciate all the encouragement so much! i love to read comments and think and pray on them. thank you all for your wisdom. i have to go now because my children keep slipping and falling on the new floors. they're like baby deer with new legs, its hilarious.

redbyrd said...

oh, and you are never "complaining" in my eyes...i know what you mean, but from my point of view and what i am dealing with right now, i think you have every right to wrestle and struggle this battle out all you want with your words and thoughts, it's yours to fight, fight for your joy. it's when we put it all down in writing or say it outloud, that is when it comes alive to us and we can process and then start learning from it...until then, it just marinates in our mushy brains and sometimes goes bad with satan's lies or our own twistings of truth and our fleshly vices...work it out...lessons and learning are abounding and producing fruit no matter how big or small you think your "tree" is...

amy said...

those are great analogies lyss. i love that. work out your faith with fear and trembling right? wow.

Anonymous said...

So I don't have a lot of advise on keeping our joy, but it did make me think of our grandmother who, though she struggled with worry, never seemed to loose sight of Jesus. I wrote this about a month ago in church after a group sang the song about wanting to see Jesus and I cried and cried. Any way, no work of art, but inspired:

I Want to Love Jesus Like That

She opened her home to the one,
The one with no where to go.
She wanted to tell of her Jesus,
His forgiving love them to show.
Oh, I want to love Jesus like that.
I want to love Jesus like that.
Strangers she told of her Jesus.
Everyone needed to know
Of the Savior who gave His life up for us
So closer to Him we could grow.
Oh, I want to love Jesus like that.
I want to love Jesus like that.
She studied the word and she prayed,
Walked with her Jesus each day.
She knew of His love and forgiveness
And knew there would be a day,
A day when sin would be judged,
When we would stand before God,
And her love for the Savior made her tell
Tell others to turn toward God.
Oh, I want to love Jesus like that.
I want to love Jesus like that.
When her mind became ill and was failing,
She failed not to keep on telling
For Oh how she loved Jesus.
I want to love Jesus like that.

My grandmother, Alice Joy Byrd truly loved Jesus. Her life testified to His love.
I love and miss her and am inspired by her life to love Jesus more. ~Emily~

AW said...

PLEASE don't think you're being ridiculous. You're not. Your smart, your sweet, your sensitive and God ordained you to be Grayson's mom...not Lyssa, not me, not anyone else...YOU. Because He knew you'd be the perfect mom for him. Take peace in that. It's yours.

Anonymous said...

i hope i didn't provoke this post by saying how blessed you are in the last one.. i think anyone in your shoes would feel defeated and while alot of people have every right to feel down, defeated, and spent.. our birth right is joy, as you touched on and we have the choice to claim it daily, despite the really hard stuff surrounding us. yes, alot of people have really hard stuff in their life right now but life is life, and we only really know what's in front of us. we can't live walking on egg shells, we just walk, support, encourage and uplift as much as possible all who are on the journey. the main reason i mentioned how blessed you were is because you have an incredible support system, and people who love you dearly. i also think your boy is a gerber baby, and probably one of the cutest little boys i have ever seen (no lie) and it's funny because when i was looking at the pictures of him where you commented on his face, or rash i didn't even notice it until you pointed it out.. he is beautiful and that overshadows any scratch, or rash. he is lucky to have parents like you. i am blessed by your blog. i found you through a friend and just appreciate your honesty and perspective.

Anonymous said...

Amy, this is Mamaw Byrd speaking with all the authority if a pissant, but a loving pissant. With struggles you and Kenny are going through with Grayson, I totally feel the anquish and frustration. I worked 3 times as a nurse in allery/immunology, and we saw many many kiddos like this who just couldn't get a hgandle on their immune systems. Most immunologists will put them on a special formula which they can tolerate, then, at some point, advance to one food at a time for a suffiecient amount of time, then if that food is ok, then on to another; but never combinations unless they have been checked off on both. They can usuall have as much as they can tolerate at a feeding of one food(like rice, for instance).We are afraid they will founder or me malnourished, but the formula is sustaining him until you can figure thinds out. Take copious notes. It will help the doctor help you to figure out a diet he can tolerate. Grayson appears to be a good size and happy in the pics and videos, so, try not to get too hurried in feeding him additional foods. I know, carrots seem so tame, but maybe not with hime. Just one food at a time until he is full. Try another one or two days later.He and you will sleep much better if tummies are full. I hope you get this, Ken and I are praying for you. Mamaw Byrd

Sally said...

you have had a rough week huh? I love you and I'm really glad I read your blog. Here's another verse God showed me not to long ago,
"I would have lost heart, unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Wait on the Lord; be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart; wait, I say, on the Lord!" Ps 27:13-14 much love friend