Sunday, June 14, 2009

some pics and an explanation

so my friend amy asked if i could explain how they have him itch free on no meds. isn't it crazy? and amazing? it all has to do with the itch scratch cycle, i think. becky if you read this, feel free to clarify in the comments.. i know you deal with this with blake. i guess its fairly simple though. and it has everything to do with the wet wraps and with the ointments and creams we are using on him. he is in the bath three times a day, 20 minutes each bath and until yesterday, he was doing 2 hour wet wraps after each of them, and then he sleeps in the final wet wrap. so his skin is wet. all the time. so it has time to heal. once it heals, there is no need to scratch, unless he comes in contact with an allergen of sorts which could cause some itching, but we are keeping him away from everything as we always have. since he can't be on meds to do the skin tests, he had to stop them on tuesday. he used a sedation medicine (a small amount) the first and second night to help him sleep and so they could monitor him at the hospital, and i have not used it once since then. i haven't had to. he still will grab at his feet or hands, and i'll think he's gonna scratch, but he'll just feel them. it's funny. anyways, that might be a bad explanation but it's just pretty cool. basically if you stay on top using the preventive measures they are teaching us, the need for meds decreases significantly. for instance, if we find out that there are a ton of environmental factors, which i am suspecting, we will obviously have to use something at times.

and now for some random pics...

this is grayson and blake.. blake is trialing STRAWBERRIES which PASSED!!! and later that day, he passed wheat.. congrats little man!!
these are my new friends becky and cara... and the room we hang in.
who says you can't play basketball in a wet wrap?
this is becky (blake's mom) and xavier, who is 3. he is a doll. they are both BRIGHT red headed dolls....
blake and grayson playin' with trains.

that's all for now :) tomorrow is skin prick test day!!

5 comments:

Jennifer said...

Amy, I have read your blog for the past 20 minutes and am SO EXCITED for all of you! This is great! Great apartment, great wet-wraps, great week!

Know that we are praying for you and cannot wait to hear what the docs say---it reminds me of our visit and I get so excited to hear about all the docs and nurses. I am also going to watch the Nightline video for sure---
I also looked at your photography website---I think you do work for my neighbor, Alma and James Aguilar. I am pretty sure that is who she said did her family photos (which are great!)---Alma is in our Life Group, we love her and her sweet family. If it isn't Alma that you photographed, then forget the whole last paragraph (except the parts about her being nice!). Can't wait to read tomorrow's blog--and can't wait to meet you guys in person! COFFEE here we come! Much love, Jennifer Harris(Courtney's friend)

Bree said...

Oh, Grebe's! Just wanted to let you all know how much you have been on my mind & heart, and in my prayers. Thank you so much for your updates, helps so much to not sit here and wonder about your little man. All my love and abundant blessings always.

bree

Nono said...

Wooooww you have a connect4 to spend time with!!! I would never go out of that room!
Jokes set asside, I'm glad to hear positives news!
kisses to my little neuveu et niece (don't know how to spell that in English)
Tonton Nono

Anna said...

woo hoo!!!! I'm SO excited for your skin tests today and that you've gone from terrified to confident about the wet wraps and his skin. That's amazing! Anyway, just want you to know that we're reading here in ABQ, and praying like crazy!

Molly Beth said...

It was just so wonderful to read these posts. And if I had $100, I'd by G the cute shorts outfit:) WTG Blake, strawberries and wheat! Wow! I can't imagine. This place seems AMAZING. SO so glad you are there. Hoping pricks go well today!
BTW, we are trialing foods around here too. We have got Coop down to 1 dose of Nexium a day now, and his most recent new foods are blueberries and coconut milk yogurt. I am so excited, and it has helped me become a little more brave too. We may try kiwi this week, not sure. That is the hardest part for me, having any clue as to what to try.